Wednesday, April 17, 2013

April 17


To all,

Yesterday was a tough day.

The Raiders lost 4-3 in Cornwall and are down 2-0 in the best of 7 series.
They go back to Cornwall on Thursday and play at the Nepean Sportsplex on Saturday night at 7:30pm.

The Chemo went okay. I was very lucky to have the picc line installed by 11:20am and then start my Chemo by noon.

I did okay for the first 2 rounds. The 3rd one was different.

I got immediately severe sweats but did not follow rule #1 "say ASAP if any discomfort or change at all." I wanted so much for the Chemo to work that I did not say anything.

Boy did I get sh*t from Liz and then the nurse, more than once each. Luckily I only got a phone message from my oncologist. I was quickly given atropine and shortly thereafter started up again. Big rule "Listen to the women around you." Boy was I dumb!

So far no nausea and I am eating but still diarrhea. I learnt the definition of diarrhea. The Jeopardy question is "What is more than 3 stools?"  Maybe I have crossed the line on "Too much information".

Today was breakfast at a restaurant, a walk, shopping at Holt's (Claude, please do not be offended) and take out at Schwatrz', a true Montreal experience.

The remaining Chemo is a 46 hour pump. We are staying in Montreal to have the pump removed in the afternoon tomorrow. Arrangements are being made so I can have the pump removed next time in Ottawa so we do not have to stay in Montreal for the extra 2 nights.

Next Chemo is April 30th. We will see the oncologist on April 29th. We will travel into Montreal the night of April 28th and drive back to Ottawa the afternoon of April 30th.

This is the first of many Chemo treatments. The number needed will be reviewed as the treatments go along. This is just the start of a long process to get to the operation stage.

My spirits are high and I thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

I am most thankful to Liz for her patience, her perseverance, her good questions, her better memory, her better than average driving skills and most importantly her love.

I am truly blessed.

Arnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment