Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 27 -- Update and A Simple Lesson Learned

To all,

Good Morning.

On Tuesday April 22nd I started my second series of my new regimen of new
chemo of 3 weeks of chemo on and then 1 week off. The day at the Irving
Greenberg Family Cancer Centre went well.

I had blood tests the day before and my results were much improved. my
potassium, my magnesium, my haemoglobin all improved. So my body was
getting back to  full battle mode.

The hydration pump worked but I doubt I will do that again and the 2
blood transfusions helped immensely.

I slept through the complete chemo treatment as I was very tired. I had a
bad night before.
I was in real pain through out the evening. I initially considered taking
a pain killer, but then remembered pain killers cause constipation so I
did not take one.

The evening went on with me crying in pain and being very depressed.

Liz came into see me and I told her how bad I felt. Her simple reaction
was "Why don't you take a painkiller?".

Boy did I feel dumb. Why worry about possible constipation when the the
issue at hand was dealing with my severe pain. I had the answer within me
to solve my pain, but rather  concentrating on solving the problem, I was
wasting time complaining about the problem.

So I remembered lesson #1, listen to your wife and I took the painkiller.
I felt better the rest of the night and did not have constipation.

Simple lesson, spend your time solving your problem rather than wasting
time complaining about it. Me,  the dumb 57 year old engineer learnt
another simple lesson.

This week I had 2 sessions with the She-Devil. She is working me hard and
I have my best shlufs after the workouts.

I attended Herb Gray's funeral on Friday. The ceremony was well planned
and very meaningful. The stories of Herb Gray made me very proud to be
Jewish.

My energy level is up and down during the week depending on what I do
during the day and the quality of sleep the night before.

I am set for my next round of chemo on April 29th and am really looking
forward to the one week off of chemo as we will be in Florida for a week
of relaxation from May 10th to 17th.

Hopefully spring is truly here and the new warm weather can be enjoyed.

Wishing everyone all the very best,

Be healthy, be happy and cherish what you have.

Lots of love,

Arnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment