Monday, July 29, 2013

July 29

To all,

I hope all is well and everyone is enjoying their summer.

Though the weekend had only one good day of weather, I got to enjoy a movie, "Wolverine" with 3 of our kids on Sunday. We had a great Shabbas meal at our daughter's new condominium. David created wonders for the meal.
Saturday we had an enjoyable family barbecue at my Mother's.

As I get closer to tomorrow's surgery, I have been getting quite emotional. I guess it is to be expected. So please bear with me.

We await the call to confirm that we have to be at the Hospital by 6:30am tomorrow. If so the surgery should be over by 2:30pm. Liz will be able to see me by 7:30pm.

I will spend the night in recovery and transfer to a regular room on Wednesday. The hospital recovery time is 1-2 weeks and home recovery time is 6-8 weeks.

I have very much confidence in my surgical team. Dr. Metrakos has impressed me immensely during our meetings.
Others have said to me, I am in very good hands.

I await God's destiny for me. He has taken good care of me so far as I have had a wonderful life with my beautiful Wife Liz, our kids , my Family and Friends. My future is for him to decide.

A very good friend, a Rabbi told me that when one donates or volunteers, one is doing an act of God. Why, because God is responsible to provide for all. By donating or volunteering one is helping others and therefore helping God to help others.

Maybe if more acts of God occurred on Tuesday, it might be an easier day for everyone. It is not the magnitude of the donation or how extensive the volunteer activity is that is important, but what is meaningful is performing it.

My best friend Solly Patrontasch has been battling cancer for 8 years now. He is my type of Champion, keeps on battling. Each year of his battle he has continued his 18 year tradition of running in the Terry Fox Run.

Here is Solly's link for the September 15th, 2013 Terry Fox Run. I hope that I can participate in some way with him this year. http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=1983309&langPref=en-CA&Referrer=direct%2fnone

The Terry Fox Run has a low overhead and 84% of the funds raised go to cancer research. After having met Terry Fox' 2 brothers, you understand the the brotherly love for a Canadian legend.

In my April 23rd update, I referenced 2 word phrases and introduced my support for "F*ck cancer." My thoughts on 3 word phrases, "I love you" and "I am sorry:" "I love you" seems to be never said enough to your love ones and "I am sorry" is never said quick enough or said at all to the ones who love you. I am guilty on both counts, so bad that it would be justifiable to lock me up and throw away the key.

I have not been the easiest person to get along with over the last 4 months. Unfortunately Liz and our kids have endured the brunt of it. They, though, have been unbelievable with me. I could blame the chemo and all that is going on, but that would not be right.

I have realized one needs always to express one's love and acknowledge one's own shortcomings. I truly hope I will do better in my post operation stage.

Tomorrow is the beginning of my next phase of my challenge.
I am prepared physically as I am feeling so much better being off chemo since June 14th.
I am prepared mentally with so much love and support from Family and Friends.

I have the ingredients to be a Champion.

"Thank you,"

"I love you," and

"F*ck cancer".

Will report back in the next few days.

All the very best,

Arnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment